Breast cancer is the most leading and life threatening cancer originating in breast tissue that affects most women worldwide. It is the principle cause of mortality in the women across the world. Breast cancer in its early stage is very difficult to diagnose as it does not cause any symptoms and usually the pain and discomfort in breast is absent.
Any of the following changes in the breast may indicate the risk of presence of breast cancer:-
- Changes in the skin over the breast or skin dimpling.
- Change in size and shape of the breast.
- Lump in the breast or axilla.
- Nipple abnormalities like nipple inversion and skin changes.
- Blood stained single duct discharge.
1) Breast Conservation Surgery: Wide excision of only the Breast Lump (saving the normal breast) with removal of axillary nodes. At the end of the procedure ,you have a near normal .
2) Modified Radical Mastectomy (MRM): This surgery involves the removal of entire breast and axillary lymph nodes. This surgery is recommended in the following circumstances:-
- Cancer is found in more than one part of the breast.
- Breast is so small that wide excision of the lump can severely deform the breast.
Following the surgery a drain is placed in the axilla and another drain is placed under the flaps after the Mastectomy. This will be removed in another 7-14 days depending on the amount of the fluid that is draining out. Stitches are removed two weeks after the surgery.
3) Modified Radical Mastectomy with Reconstruction: For those women who are unhappy with the idea of losing their breast and are suitable for immediate breast reconstruction can choose this option. A plastic surgeon is involved in this surgery and utilizes patient’s own tissues to create a breast which closely matches the opposite breast, if required an artificial implant may also be use.
4) Mastectomy:This is the surgical removal of a breast. Breast reconstruction is possible in many instances after the mastectomy.
Main breast cancer treatment options may include:
Radiation therapy (radiotherapy)
Biological therapy (targeted drug therapy)
This section provides only a brief outline of the treatment possibilities for breast cancer in India. Please Enquire with your medical reports and we will respond with a detailed medical opinion and cost estimate.